Sunday, September 25, 2011

Reading Response for Wednesday, Sept. 28


In chapters 14 and 15 in Karen Armstrong’s book, the reader again sees the replacement of more groups and the changing leadership of a city. Again, the changing ideology caught my eye. We see the shift from Jews still behaving as if the Temple was there to the increased importance of the western wall (327) to at the end of Chapter 15 being influenced by the Scientific Revolution in Europe and changing their minds about what a “holy place” really means (340). In addition, the two chapters focus on several leaders that all made significant impacts to the city. I was impressed by Saladin, Frederick and Suleiman the Magnificent and all of their contributions to history. 

As Armstrong described Saladin’s reign in Jerusalem, I admire him a lot for what he attempted to do. Although he obviously favored his own group, he showed great respect for other groups in Jerusalem and behaved with honor. Armstrong says, “Saladin had conducted his jihad in accordance with the Qur’anic ideal: he had always granted a truce when the Crusaders had asked for one; he had, for the most part, treated his prisoners fairly and kindly” (295). He “muslim-ified” the city, yet he also did the grunt work and manual labor. As I’m reading these pages, (I’m sure people would disagree with me) he found a middle ground between the religions. It seems as though he did what he needed to do to keep his support base but also lived morally by allowing Christians and Jews to revere their holy spots and maintain their place in the city. Even when the Crusaders made the Jews leave, Saladin allowed them to return (298)! 

On page 299, Armstrong comments on the effect that living under Saladin’s rule had on the Jewish people that returned.  She explains that although Jews were glad to be able to live there, it was not the same. They did not have control over their sacred spots and had to live under the constant reminder that this was no longer their city. I had never thought about it in these terms.  Living in a mostly Christian dominated country, I cannot even fathom not having everything geared towards my group; I always assume that we will not have school during Christmas and that I will be able to celebrate Easter with my family. It is hard for me to put myself in their place and imagine how a lot of people feel all the time. At least Saladin was respectful of their wishes, but I am beginning to understand the plight they must have felt during this time.

2 comments:

  1. Saladin is an interesting character, and the manner in which he reigned was different from others. I was able to do some googling and there's some good stories and history about things he did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that you mentioned the thing about Jews living in a place where their religion remains subordinate. Because, as I write this, I believe Rosh Hashanah is happening (or is about to) and we had school today and will tomorrow. So that applies even now

    ReplyDelete