Monday, October 31, 2011

Weblog Journal Assignment 6: Music

As I imagine it does for many other people, music plays an important role in my life. As a zumba instructor, my job is dependent on music. As a previous dancer, I had to pay close attention to the mood and tone of the song in order to communicate the emotions to the audience. Music can define who a person is based on the political message, the style or the time period. The type of music that I generally listen to is upbeat and has a positive message. I feel like these songs reflect my general mood. I enjoy all music, but I especially like music from other countries, specifically musical styles from Latin America. For many people, the type of music one listens to might speak to their national origins or their religious beliefs, but I grew up in the Midwest and the fact I identify mostly with a foreign country's music that I have never traveled to might seem odd. However, perhaps my desire to travel and my love of Spanish have led me to feel more connected to this type of music. Because I like to dance and 'fiesta' this type of music is appropriate.
In terms of music in conflict, it can play an important role in mobilizing people. It can connect a certain group of people to a single idea or belief in order to reach a common goal. It can also function as a coping mechanism of a marginalized group, as it as been utilized in the past.

Here are a couple songs I think everyone should know, regardless if he/she understands the lyrics or not!
This is my favorite song in Arabic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NjZ-xKLGTY

My favorite Juanes song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayCXeExyJxg&ob=av2n

No comments:

Post a Comment